Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Grace of Uncertainty


When I look at a waterfall, I love to put my eye on one little section of water at the top and follow it with my eyes as it makes the plunge to the bottom. Someone once said that is a true picture of surrender. Sometimes I will see the water almost laughing as it comes down and sprays out over the precipice -the abandonment seems to bring joy!



One of my favorite authors said that 'certainty is the mark of the commonsense life.' We love certainty, precise planning, knowing, and most of all we love control. Do I realize that is all part of the 'commonsense life' and it just seems that our life in Christ is pretty much the opposite of that. It is a life of abandonment, surrender, and trust; it is a life of gracious uncertainty.




But the key is the grace of uncertainty. Suddenly, without an iota of warning, we can find ourselves in that place of not knowing, the place where the rubber hits the road -'ok, Joanie, just what do you believe? It is a place where black ink on paper jumps to life and becomes real. 'Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear. Though war rise against me, in this I will be confident...for in the time of trouble, He shall hide me in the secret place of His shelter.'




When my emotions are on a run-away train, still, do I know Whom I believe? I am in a place where this has gotten intensely personal...so, now, Lord -as you give me Your grace in this uncertainty -do I believe You when circumstances seems to push even You to Your limits? Maybe it is only then I realize that You are the limitless One and I am at rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment